whenever we’re very busy or very lazy (read: all the time) we make a big batch of mixed legumes and spices. we use it in everything for the week, and these are two of our favorite ways - a burger (or sandwich spread, if you’re not feeling a stove right now) and in a salad.
to make this week’s mixture, pulse in a food processor until chunky, consistently mixed, and thick enough to stick together:
- 5-6 cups cooked lentils - put everything in the food processor when these are still hot, it makes it easier to pulse
- 1 cup toasted chopped cashews (just chop them and heat them up on a pan for a couple of minutes)
- 1-2 cups ground oats (use a coffee grinder or food processor to grind them beforehand, or buy pre-ground oats)
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- a splash or two sriracha sauce
- 3 tbsp (or to taste) chana masala powder (you can find it in the international aisle or in indian specialty stores if you don’t want to make it yourself)
- 1 tbsp sea salt, peppercorns to taste
- 1-2 tsp cayenne if you’re feeling dangerous
- 1/4 cup-1/3 cup oil, poured in slowly - don’t add too much, it’s just there to help bind the mixture while adding moisture.
- water, poured in slowly - there to add moisture and to keep the blade going
if it’s not mixing at all, add in water or oil. if it’s not sticking together, add in more oats. if it’s not flavorful enough, add more spices :p
put it in a sealable container in the fridge for up to a week. make up your own mixture with your own favorite beans and spices. use it in every meal you can think of!
reminder: you have FIVE days left to submit your recipes, art, photography, writing, and vegan goods/shops to chickpea magazine. let’s see what you’ve got!
Saw this at a smoothie stand and had to try making it myself;
According to myfitnesspal it’s174 cals a serving.
note: the pictures just off google images ♥
Just made a Strawberry-pinapple smoothie. It was delish!
-Handful of blended ice cubes
-1/2 cup dannon light and fit yogurt
-1/2 cup fat free milk
- 1/2 scoop whey strawberry protein powder
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
-less than 1/3 crystal light
watermelon and pomegranate popsicles.
fruits and greens smoothie blend together for about 5 minutes, or until everything is creamy:
- 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peaches
- 3 cups frozen coconut milk (from a can) (you might not even HAVE to freeze it, mine just was)
- 2-3 big handfuls lettuce & beet greens (probably any greens will do)
- a splash or two water, i used maybe 1/2-3/4 cup
- 2 tbsp agave + 1 tbsp turbinado sugar
makes a LOT, about 6 servings. i put the extras in ice cube trays to re-blend later.
nom. I think I might have to make this ♥
SO GOOD. Freshly squeezed grapefruit juice. Didn’t add anything to it at all. I’ll be honest, it was sort of hard to down because it was SO intense. But it was delicious, in the sips. And it’s so good for you. Of course I kept all of the pulp in the juice as well. Yay fiber and other delectoids!